Here’s a handy set of links to my 2009 round-up posts if you missed any.
Happy New Year to you all, and I hope that 2010 brings plenty of music and gig fun!
Here it is, the final part of my 2009 round-up, and a look at the best gigs throughout the year. There were many gigs deserving of praise, and many artists who narrowly missed the cut (see list at the bottom), however I have restricted the list to my favourite 10 gigs of the year. The top 10 is presented in chronological order, as unlike albums it’s hard to revisit the performance to choose the order, and they’re all winners!
The Acorn – Brixton Windmill (13th March)
One of the most fun small gigs of the year, my first proper glimpse (first headline show) into the brilliance of The Acorn as a live band. Whilst on record their music is beautiful and fairly relaxed on the whole, the live show brings a lot more energy. This gig was small, sweaty, and from what I remember the band played a nice long set. I think it was their first London headlining gig, a warm up for their Elbow support slot at Wembley Arena the following night, which brings me nicely to gig number 2…
Posted in End Of Year
Tagged Australian Pink Floyd, Best Gigs of 2009, David Ford, Elbow, End Of Year, I Am Kloot, Nick Cave, revere, The Acorn, The Decemberists, The Low Anthem, The Mars Volta
To start my round-up of the year (while I try to decide my favourite albums & gigs), I thought I’d post a list of all the gigs I’ve been to and bands I’ve seen this year. Each gig is listed, including supports (only the ones I saw though, if I missed any), and each day at festivals is broken out, again with the bands I saw. Of course, I didn’t see the full set for each and every one of these listed, but probably the majority, and at festivals bands are only listed if I saw a good 10-15 mins of their set as a minimum.
Anyway, enough about the hows and whys, here’s the list! I will shortly be selecting my favourites and writing a bit about them. In the meantime take a look, and by all means let me know if you were at any and have fond memories of them!
- 03/01/09 – Plugs (Astoria 2)
- 14/01/09 – Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly, Trail Of Dead, Mark Greaney (JJ72), Frank Turner, King Blues, Helsinki (Astoria)
- 19/01/09 – Duke Special, Paul Pilot, Dan Michaelson and the Coastguards (Proud Gallery)
- 01/02/09 – Esser, Speech Debelle (Northampton Square)
- 06/02/09 – Whole Lotta Led (Islington Academy)
- 13/02/09 – Mystery Jets, Little Boots, Amazing Baby (Shepherd’s Bush Empire)
- 15/02/09 – I Am Kloot (Manchester Club Academy)
- 16/02/09 – Secret Machines, The Big Pink (Islington Academy)
- 17/02/09 – Blindfold, Revere, Magic & Fur, Morrison Steam Fayre (Bush Hall)
- 28/02/09 – Elbow, The Acorn (Brighton Dome) Continue reading