Here’s a handy set of links to my 2009 round-up posts if you missed any.
Happy New Year to you all, and I hope that 2010 brings plenty of music and gig fun!
After much deliberating, I’ve put my shortlist of my top 25 albums of the year into some kind of order, and here is a rundown from 25-11. Look out for the top 10 soon. Several albums missed out on this list as I have only streamed them on Spotify and not yet bought them (sorry Flaming Lips!).
Righly or wrongly there are also a number of this year’s albums that I have enjoyed but just not listened to enough (including many that have done well in end of year polls), resulting in them missing out, but could have been included with more listens. Included in that list right now would be The Longcut, Animal Collective, Fever Ray, Grizzly Bear, and many more.
I have bought a lot of music this year and probably not appreciated it all to its full potential. Will my buying habits change next year? I can try but in all honesty it’s unlikely to happen!
Anyhow, without further ado, here are my best albums of the year, from 25-11.
Posted in End Of Year
Tagged 2009, andrew bird, Best Albums Of 2009, Cerys Matthews, Eels, Euros Childs, Idlewild, James Yorkston, Leaves, Local Natives, Mew, Morton Valence, Patrick Watson, Pure Reason Revolution, The Mars Volta, The Wave Pictures, The XX
To start my round-up of the year (while I try to decide my favourite albums & gigs), I thought I’d post a list of all the gigs I’ve been to and bands I’ve seen this year. Each gig is listed, including supports (only the ones I saw though, if I missed any), and each day at festivals is broken out, again with the bands I saw. Of course, I didn’t see the full set for each and every one of these listed, but probably the majority, and at festivals bands are only listed if I saw a good 10-15 mins of their set as a minimum.
Anyway, enough about the hows and whys, here’s the list! I will shortly be selecting my favourites and writing a bit about them. In the meantime take a look, and by all means let me know if you were at any and have fond memories of them!
- 03/01/09 – Plugs (Astoria 2)
- 14/01/09 – Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly, Trail Of Dead, Mark Greaney (JJ72), Frank Turner, King Blues, Helsinki (Astoria)
- 19/01/09 – Duke Special, Paul Pilot, Dan Michaelson and the Coastguards (Proud Gallery)
- 01/02/09 – Esser, Speech Debelle (Northampton Square)
- 06/02/09 – Whole Lotta Led (Islington Academy)
- 13/02/09 – Mystery Jets, Little Boots, Amazing Baby (Shepherd’s Bush Empire)
- 15/02/09 – I Am Kloot (Manchester Club Academy)
- 16/02/09 – Secret Machines, The Big Pink (Islington Academy)
- 17/02/09 – Blindfold, Revere, Magic & Fur, Morrison Steam Fayre (Bush Hall)
- 28/02/09 – Elbow, The Acorn (Brighton Dome) Continue reading